Updated Sunday October 29, 2017

Browse Ontario Dairies

A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z

 
Acton Creamery, Acton
 

Photographs

 
Acton Creamery, Acton, Ontario (photograph)
Darren Spindler
   

Advertising Go-withs

 
Acton Creamery, Acton, Ontario (advertisement)
1916 ADVERTISEMENT
Darren Spindler
Acton Creamery, Acton, Ontario (advertisement)
1920 ADVERTISEMENT
Darren Spindler
   
Acton Creamery, Acton, Ontario (advertisement)
1965 ADVERTISEMENT
Darren Spindler
 
   

Information

 
In 1916 Morris (Moishe) Saxe founded the first creamery in Acton. Born in Kiev, Russia in 1879 he immigrated to Canada in 1902. He attended the Ontario Agriculture College in Guelph taking a course in butter making. When he completed his course he opened the Acton Creamery. The creamery was paying local farmers between $400 & $500 a week for cream delivered in July 1916. The business was doing well and by 1917 Morris Saxe moved his family to Georgetown were he established a new larger creamery. Saxe had been in business for several years starting in 1906 as a dealer of scrap metal. He also owned a tannery, knitting needle firm and the first movie theatre in Acton. He was also founder and president of the Federation of Jewish Farmers of Ontario.

Over the years there were quite a few changes in proprietorship at the creamery. Morris Saxe and L. Rubinoff conducted business together for only one year when Saxe left to start the Georgetown Creamery in 1917. In September 1919 the creamery was sold to Hubert Mann and Perry Watson who also purchased the Chestnut Grove Dairy from Thomas Watkins and operated the business under the name Acton Creamery & Dairy Co. Rubinoff went into business in Toronto. In February 1920 Harold Wiles came in to replace Hubert Mann who had formed a partnership with Ambrose McCann to open a new creamery in Fergus, Ontario. Later that year in October, the creamery moved to its new location on Mill Street from Willow Street. Perry Watson left in August 1921 and Thomas O'Neil of Toronto filled his position. A short time later in November the same year Harold Wiles left the creamery to devote his full attention to his restaurant and confectionary.
Thomas O'Neil was proprietor from 1921 to around 1930 when Mungo E. Nixon took over the operations. Nixon ran the business until May 1940 when he left to follow business interests in Milton. Chris Andersen of Toronto was the next in line to take charge of the creamery.

Researched by Darren Spindler
 
 
Copyright - All Rights Reserved - Early Canadian Bottle Works

COPYRIGHT - ALL PICTURES & OTHER CONTENT OF THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHT DARREN SPINDLER - EARLY CANADIAN BOTTLE WORKS UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE. PLEASE OBTAIN PERMISSION FROM THE AUTHOR TO USE ANY OF THIS SITES CONTENTS.